[Discuss] Future of Personal Computers

On 3/13/2012 12:13 AM, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> The laptop certainly won't die for a while, if ever. Many tasks work so
> much better with real keyboards; for example, I can't see professional
> writers ever adopting tablets as their primary writing device.

This is an important point.  Even a cheap keyboard is better for writing
than trying to type on a touch screen.  A keyboard probably isn't as
convenient as a touch screen for your life in 140 characters or less but
for any kind of serious writing you're going to want a real keyboard.
Or a chiropractor to fix your ruined hands afterwards.

The only thing that I can see killing the clamshell style notebook is
the elimination of the physical screen.  Someone devises a way of
projecting the display into the air above the keyboard, does it cheaper
than whatever is current for flat panel technology, does it with at
least as good visual quality, and does it with less electrical power.
That's the laptop killer.  True three-dimensional projection, not the
flat parallax projection like the 3DS, is a bonus.

--
Rich P.