[Discuss] The next Linux desktop: Ubuntu 12.04

Richard Pieri wrote:
> Microsoft's documentation for ARM manufacturers
> shipping Windows 8 states clearly...:
>
>   Disabling Secure MUST NOT be possible on ARM systems.

Oh, right. I forgot about that.

I'd say chances are decent this will lead to a law suit. Though it might
not happen until after products with this BIOS come to market.

In any case, we're talking about a tiny firmware tweak to permit a
non-Windows OS to be installed. You can bet that many Chinese
manufacturers will be more than happy to release products with that
tweak that aren't certified by Microsoft.

Unlike the 90's where there was a handful of mostly US-based companies
controlling the PC manufacturing industry, which Microsoft could easily
coerce, now everything is outsourced to a plethora of Chinese vendors,
who won't be so easy to herd.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro