[Discuss] The next Linux desktop: Ubuntu 12.04

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/2012 12:29 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>>
>> Consider the following two lists:
>>
>> Cooking: ? Oven, Stove Top, Microwave, Toaster, ?Toaster oven, Rice
>> Cooker, CrockPot/Slow cooker, Electric waffle iron, Electric griddle,
>> Electric drip coffee maker, Bread machine
>>
>> "Personal" Computing: ?Smartphone, tablet, laptop/netbook, desktop PC,
>> smart TV, Internet video devices (ROKU, etc.), cable set top box,
>> gaming consoles (portable and fixed), e-book reader
>

> I got flamed to no end on another mailing list for calling iPhone and iPad
> appliances and comparing them to kitchen appliances like microwave ovens and
> toasters :). ?But truth be told, I think that you're right.
>
> --
> Rich P.

I agree, they are just appliances.  As utilitarian as a waffle maker,
TV, dish or clothes washer.  Some people have been using them
as the center of their religious affections, but that is their problem.

Now that the Police have the ability to search them without a
warrant (so the news on the TV appliance said earlier today)
folks might want to go back to land lines where at least the Supreme
Court as taken some issue with that concept of 'telephone'
surveillance.