[Discuss] The next Linux desktop: Linux Mint Debian

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu at vl.com> wrote:
> This also makes me wonder what has happened to the relationship between
> Ubuntu and Debian. At one time packages "trickled down" to Ubuntu from
> Debian. Yet if Ubuntu transitioned to GNOME 3 a half year ago or more,
> clearly there has been a more pronounced split between the two projects.

That's probably true.   However Ubuntu neither supports the number of
packages that Debian does nor does it support the  same number of
architectures.   OTOH, Ubuntu's push for the Unity GUI certainly means
it is going to be different from Debian with a default Gnome install.
 If what you care about are desktop GUIs then clearly there is a
divergence which will probably widen.   I see no particular reason
that this drift should affect server/command line programs and may not
make much of a difference to most GUI programs either.

Bill Bogstad