[Discuss] AMD FX-8120

Richard Pieri wrote:
> This is the Bulldozer architecture, yes?

Yes. I mentioned them in an earlier thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss at blu.org/msg03502.html

which includes a link to am AnandTech review, which identifies the part
as art of the Bulldozer family.

> Are you building a server or a workstation around it?

Their marketing seemed to be geared at consumers at the moment, which
makes me think desktop. The AnandTech review seems to be written from
that perspective, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_%28microarchitecture%29

  Bulldozer-based implementations...arrived in October 2011 for both
  servers and desktops. The server segment included the dual chip
  16-threads Opteron processor codenamed Interlagos...and single chip
  4-8 threads Valencia..., while the 4-8 threads Zambezi targeted
  desktops on Socket AM3+.

So I guess the FX-8120 is packaged for desktops, but it sure sounds like
it still shares all the architecture that is optimal for servers, and
the AnandTech review suggests it isn't so hot for desktops.

I've been pondering using one in a VM server build, but haven't looked
yet at what the equivalent Intel offering would have for performance,
power, and price. (I'll be curious to hear how Mark's build goes.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA