[Discuss] DLNA

Doug wrote:
> The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is an effort by Sony...

And yet they didn't patent it and keep it proprietary? How unlike Sony. :-)

> [The Panasonic DVD player] could play nothing.

That's usually been my experience with UPnP. I observed this recently
when trying to play recorded TV shows on my MythTV back-end from a DLNA
client running on my Android phone. Several different DLNA clients
tried. All could browse show titles, but none could play. The video
format was MPEG2, which should be widely supported (and was claimed to
be supported by at least some of the clients).

> Apparently the file system that has the various
> videos is not understood by the Panasonic device.

What gives you that impression? Shouldn't DLNA hide the file system from
the client? Seems more likely to be a codec problem, or just
inconsistencies in the DLNA implementation.

> So much for DLNA certification.
> So much for the Universal part of UPNP.

Yeah, they do seem to have some interoperability problems.

But even when it works, you basically just have simple read-only access
to a collection of files. It seems to be of marginal benefit compared to
using a network file system to share files.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA