[Discuss] N40L on sale for $179.99 at PC Connection Express

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Richard Pieri wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone played with BtrFS yet?  The next release of Oracle
>> Enterprise Linux will use it by default, even before Fedora (Fedora 17
>> was going to default to BtrFS, but it was deferred again to Fedora
>> 18).
>
> I had considered it for my server but the experimental status of BtrFS
> steered me away from it.  I'm really not ready to trust my data and
> backups to what is to me an untested file system.  I remember the pain
> that friends suffered from data corruption with ReiserFS.
>
> Which makes me wonder why Oracle is making this move at this time.  Or
> laugh at the dogfood principle.

I would suggest using it for /tmp long before adopting it for user home
directories. The experience would be valuable and the downside risk small.
Currently we have moved much of our FreeBSD storage to ZFS and are very
pleased. BtrFS promises many of the same advantages.

daniel feenberg
NBER