[Discuss] Striping is bad

> On 2/18/2012 10:45 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> If you are saying that a catastrophic failure of a storage device does
>> not
>> reflect poorly upon the manufacturer, I suggest you rethink your
>> position.
>>
>> If I were driving home in a Kia and it died with no symptoms, i.e. was
>> running perfectly with no "check engine" light as well as properly
>> maintained, would you NOT blame the manufacturer?
> If a Kia went for $100, I'd buy two in case one died unexpectedly.

No a Kia wont go for $100, so your analogy is flawed. You must look at the
economics of it. The Hitachi drives are not cheaper than alternatives. The
objective is to get the best drive for the money.

Make a choice with your $129 per item:

A device that has a sampled 50% failure rate over 2 years.
A device that has a sampled 0% failure rate over two years.

Your choice. If you buy a Hitachi drive, let me know. I've seen some
time-shares in craigslist that I bet I can sell you.