[Discuss] Striping is bad

On Sat, February 18, 2012 4:54 pm, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of
>>
>> So, two lessons learned: (1) when you know better, listen to yourself.
>> (2)
>> don't buy Hitachi hard disks.
>
> (I'll say it the nice way)
> How you conclude "don't buy hitachi" from this is situation is ...
> "Beyond
> me."

Why be so nice, Ed?   Dude, your conclusions are a non-sequitor for your
data.  Or at least your second conclusion.  I do agree with #1.

There is nothing wrong with Hitachi drives in general.  The fact that *a*
drive failed is just a fact of life -- it happens.  I've had mobos fail,
power supplies fail, monitors fail, video cards fail.  Parts fail.

Your issue is the fact that you used RAID-0 instead of RAID-1 or RAID-10;
that was just you being silly.  I've had a RAID-10 array of four (now 6,
as of about 6 months ago) Hitachi drives running for over four years now.
I did lose one drive which I replaced late last year, and I now have one
spare drive laying around for the next failure.  All hitachi.  30,000
hours and still going.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745