[Discuss] Adventures in N40L Land

Richard Pieri wrote:
>The 250GB disk that ships with the unit takes one of the
> RAID cage slots.  I moved this up to the optical drive bay where it
> runs fine as a system drive.

Any idea why they did that? I'm assuming the 250GB disk is not
physically mounted in the RAID cage.

There is a drive bay for a user supplied optical drive?

> I wound up getting a batch of Western Digital WD20EARX disks at
> MicroCenter.  Same price as NewEgg.  That's hard to beat.  The
> Hitachi disk will go to some other purpose.

The Hitachi disk was also 2 TB, no?

There's a school of thought that it is best to mix vendors (or at least
batches) in your RAID sets.

> Flash boot with FreeNAS was my original intention.  I abandoned it
> for vanilla Debian because I couldn't get the sharing services to
> start.  A NAS box is pretty useless if it can't share file systems.

Right, which would suggest that file sharing services would be
extensively tested on FreeNAS and among the last thing you'd expect not
to work. Which file sharing services? Samba? Anything out of the norm in
your setup?

> So, Debian Squeeze onto the box, recreated my RAID set...

Earlier you were asking questions about RAID-Z, so unless you are using
Fuse ZFS, I gather you didn't go the ZFS route.

> The USB disk on top is my video library,
> currently being rsynced over to the ZFS RAID.

So then you are using ZFS?

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro