[Discuss] The next Linux desktop: Linux Mint Debian

On Feb 11, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> A little confusing that Linux Mint has a main stream version based on
> Ubuntu, with two desktop environments, plus this other version based on
> Debian, which also follows a different update model. (Though not unlike
> the multiple versions of Ubuntu.)

I did try it, but not for long.  Some things don't work right.  Specifically, getting Debathena installed on top of Testing doesn't work reliably, and that carries over to LMDE.  And because it is based on mainline Debian rather than Ubuntu it doesn't have the driver support that Ubuntu offers.

It's an interesting project but it isn't for casual users.

--Rich P.