[Discuss] The next Linux desktop

On 2/10/2012 11:54 AM, john saylor wrote:
> not so sure about this. can we make comparisons to other devices? what
> about running an automobile versus running a computer? all cars need a
> speedometer, but it is not placed the same [or looks the same] in
> various manufacturer's devices.

I'd say flawed because speedos on passenger cars are regulated by an
international standards body.

Apple doesn't sue developers who violate the Mac HIG.  They simply
refuse to provide support for developers who do so.

Linux Desktops most certainly could do something like this.  Make the
Free Desktop organization a proper standards body and give it some teeth
when it comes to the GNOME v. KDE ego conflicts.  Evil you say?  What
about POSIX and the LSB?  It's the same thing.

--
Rich P.