[Discuss] The next Linux desktop

greetings

On 02/10/2012 10:33 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> The Macintosh desktop works so well because of the Macintosh Human
> Interface Guidelines and the uniform enforcement of those guidelines.

of course, that cannot happen in an open source world. even if a group
went through the trouble of specifying this interface, there's no way
they could enforce it on devs. that's kinda what open source is like.

further, just like with one ring, "one desktop to rule them all" is
going to be evil. we [users] are not all the same, so we are not all
going to want the same desktop.

i go back and forth between windows and linux and can get stuff done
regardless of desktop. in fact, generally i don't even care about how
the desktop metaphor is implemented, i just want to do the work, or
waste the time, using my computer. also, the desktop metaphor breaks
with wireless computing devices.

> I've wanted an elegant, functional Linux desktop for 16 years. I've
> grown tired of waiting for it.

sounds like you want the apple desktop. you only have to pay for it to
have it. it's probably the best way forward for you.

--
http://or8.net/~johns "yeah yeah yeah" -beatles