[Discuss] Hitachi drives

On Feb 4, 2012, at 1:39 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Interesting. Steve Gibson, author of SpinRite, likewise swears by
> Hitachi drives. And I too wondered how that squares with the mediocre to
> bad reviews they seem to get on NewEgg. Enterprise vs. consumer drives?

Hm.  Nope.  I double-checked the Backblaze blog article:
http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/
They're definitely using the Deskstar 5K3000 disks rather than the enterprise-class Ultrastar disks.  These are the 3TB version of the Deskstar 5K3000 2TB that are derided on NewEgg.

I suspect that rather than an abnormally high failure rate, NewEgg is seeing an abnormally high complaint posting rate.  After all, who rants when disks don't fail?

--Rich P.