[Discuss] wiki suggestions?

> As an example tomorrow morning I have to get my ass up real early and teach a computer class for a very large local medial establishment.  A real teacher made the course.  I read it over and found a few technical errors.  Corrected them, put the whole course on wikipsaces the other day.

This is collaboration, not publication.  In a collaborative setting you have many (more than one) editing any given document.  A wiki may be useful in such environments.

On the other hand, a private collaboration can do well using Git to replicate documents among themselves.  I have two small groups using Git + SmartGit in this capacity and they have been pleased with it.  The system has worked out well for both groups specifically because the distributed replicas let them work without requiring constant net.

Networked storage isn't automatically a nightmare.  Using the wrong tool for the job is what makes a nightmare, whether that tool is distributed storage or a wiki or Git.  This is the reason I asked about what it is you are doing.  There are lots of wikis to choose from but if a wiki is the wrong tool then suggesting my favorite wiki isn't helpful.

Regardless, I do suggest not using MediaWiki (what Wikipedia uses).  Extracting documents from MediaWiki is painful at best.  It really wasn't designed with that in mind.

--Rich P.