[Discuss] Network Traffic Visualization

As we discussed in another thread, I'm taking a class on data
visualization and for my final project I plan to write a piece of
software that will create a visualization of network traffic.  I have
a few questions that will help me get started:

- What problems do you have that a visualization tool could help
solve?  Are they well defined ("I need to keep an eye on http requests
in case we get Slashdotted"), or is it more nebulous ("I just want to
see what's going on in my network")?

- What do you need to see in order to solve the problem(s)?

- Do you have any preference for how you see it?  For example, will
you have a single monitor (or projector screen, etc.) just for this
data, or will it be a single window that you check on occasionally,
but is otherwise minimized?

- What workflows are currently in place to tackle the problems that
could be improved by having access to a visualization tool?

Thank you all in advance!  Hopefully I'll be able to produce something
genuinely useful.

-Dan