[Discuss] wiki suggestions?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of David Kramer
>
> On 01/30/2012 07:59 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > For an administrator who hasn't admin'd wikis before (as evidenced by
the
> > fact you're considering twiki, which is horrible and relatively
> > unmaintained, largely because it's written in perl) ...  You want one
that
> > doesn't require all massively difficult hoops to jump through, as most
wikis
> > do, in order to install, maintain, add plugins etc.
>
> While perl is hardly my first choice of language, that has more to do
> with people than software.  Foswiki is very actively maintained.  And it
> has a unit test suite to keep it from breaking.
>
> It also has a plugin manager so you don't need to search for plugins and
> install them from the command line.

I've gotten a lot of responses to my perl comment above.  So allow me to
clarify:

In the statement above I am not making any generalization about perl being
good or bad *in general.*  I am only saying it's not very good for a web
application.  Languages such as php and jsp, etc, have been created
specifically for the purpose of running web applications.  Unfortunately
twiki predates the widespread adoption of such languages.  As a result,
people intending to do web development tend not to get into perl.  As a
result, it's there is a disadvantage to maintain a strong community of
developers on twiki.  They tend to focus on other languages, which makes
them tend to focus on other products instead of twiki.

Side note:  I have an opinion of relative strengths of perl versus python,
both of which are intended to be used as scripting languages, not so much
web application languages, so they are actually apples to apples.  ;-)