[Discuss] Dell docking and NVIDIA outputs

On 01/27/2012 08:23 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I am supporting many users on many different types of laptops using many
> different OSes.  Everything works well, ONLY if your primary OS is either
> OSX or Windows, and you run your linux as a guest VM.
>
> I am sorry to say, I don't consider linux to be a well supported full
> featured client desktop system, especially for laptops.  It has come a long
> way, but manufacturers just don't care enough right now to make all the
> little details work right - such as switching displays and sleep/wake.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will say that the last time I had a
Dell laptop and a docking station at work, even under Windows, it would
often reboot or lock up when docking or undocking.

Another part of the problem, and this affects Windows too, is the
commoditization of many computer lines.  Computers (especially laptops)
that try to differentiate on unique features are pretty rare, and only
some business lines try to differentiate with claims of quality.  Most
of the time it's all about price, and that means lower quality hardware.