[Discuss] Dell docking and NVIDIA outputs

I too find the Precision M4500 to be a good machine.  But our IT is short 64-bit licenses and If I don't run Linux, I have to put up with the limitations of 32-bit XP.  I have used the nVIDIA driver with no issues when my Precision M4500 configuration does not change.  But this IS a laptop. And I cannot require that everyone meet at my desk.  So docking and undocking changes are the real issue for me.  The nVIDIA (and Nouveau) drivers do not seem to behave well when I change from docked/closed with two external monitors at my desk, to undocked and opened to the laptop LGD in meetings.  I am left with no output to the LGD, and have to reboot to use the machine in the meeting.  And the trip back to the desk is no better.  The only solution that some have tried si scripts to toggle the X configuration before suspending to undock or dock.  Or the more manual process of using the nVIDIA driver applet to enable/disable outputs before suspending. I am now looking at Fedora.  I believe that Dell can, in fact, ship with Redhat Enterprise as an option, so I hope the lesser sibling has inherited some of those genes.  And I see that Fedora has yet another default driver, not Nouveau.  So I hope that the behavior is more as expected.  After all, I spend most of my time in Eclipse and other IDEs and not full screen in some game, so 3D performance is not my primary goal.  Jay Burrill