[Discuss] Dell docking and NVIDIA outputs

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jay Burrill
>
> I have been trying to switch to Linux (openSUSE 12.1 Gnome 3) on a fairly
> good Dell Precision M4500 with NVIDIA FX880.  But the driver does not seem
> to be very full featured.  My expectations are:a. that if I dock, the
driver will
> switch to use the external monitors (2); b. that if I undock, the driver
will
> switch to use the internal LCD;c. that if I suspend while docked and
> outputting to the two externals, when I resume undocked, the driver will

I am supporting many users on many different types of laptops using many
different OSes.  Everything works well, ONLY if your primary OS is either
OSX or Windows, and you run your linux as a guest VM.

I am sorry to say, I don't consider linux to be a well supported full
featured client desktop system, especially for laptops.  It has come a long
way, but manufacturers just don't care enough right now to make all the
little details work right - such as switching displays and sleep/wake.