[Discuss] FORTRAN -> ???

As I remember, and I think this is Digital PDP-11 RSX11, you could have disk resident overlays, memory resident overlays, or a mixture of the two.

Memory resident overlays were a bizarre manifestation of the 16 bit program address spaces  (64K each) coupled with the ability to have at least 22 bits worth of memory ( 4096K).  The base, and all memory resident overlays, were loaded into memory, but the program's address space was limited to the base, one tree of memory resident overlays, and/or one tree of disk overlays.

I can remember spending days on shoe-horning what we thought were huge programs to run in these tiny spaces.  I have a vague recollection that disk overlays were defined using "*" and memory overlays "!".

Now don't get started on core dumps :-)