[Discuss] What Happens when a cloud service shuts down

On 01/20/2012 02:35 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> your data (or your car)
> would be held hostage.
Greetings Jerry, list members.

Most of the responses were about cloud services for the corporate, where
in that case (hopefully ) there is some real technical consideration of
the "what-ifs".
for the SMB market however, Microsoft 365 and maybe Google-apps (not
sure about the latter) are a huge success. At previous lines of work I
saw them selling very well. Small IT firms really loved the fact that
they will not need to manage any local exchange servers and still earn
money.
Lawyers, Doctors, CPAs gladdy put their exchange servers and shared MS
Work/Excel/PPS on the cloud, with little understating as for what this
means - it is just like taking all your boxes of documents and giving
them to someone else,and being able to access them as long  "they" allow
you. In this case, Microsoft and Google have very good PR and people
would trust them even if you portray bad scenarios.
It will only be possible to make SMB size companies to re-think these
moves if stories like  " and even-though I had Internet service working,
I could not access my Email or my clients Payroll summary " will start
showing up.

--
Guy Gold