[Discuss] What Happens when a cloud service shuts down

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> Very specifically, cloud is just another way of saying mainframe
> computing the way it used to be.
> Historically, computing has decentralized since the 1970s, especially
> with the advent of the PC. Now, companies are using the "cloud" to
> essentially bring data back into the control of the IT people. In a
> business, generally the IT people have the mission to protect the
> integrity and security of the data.

Maybe I'm late to the IT party, but how do you mean that it's going
back to the way it used to be?  I've never really experienced (that I
can remember) a work environment where most of the data (the important
stuff, at least) isn't housed in some central repository - usually a
web or standalone DB server.  Am I misunderstanding what you mean, or
have I just not been paying attention to how things work where I've
worked?

-Dan