[Discuss] Financial database / balance?

IBM's packed decimal had an effectively unlimited number of digits that
the COBOL or PL/1 programmer expressed (such as the COBOL 9999999.99 has
9 digits with 2 to the right of the decimal point and took up 5 bytes
with the sign taking up the rightmost nybble. External decimal is
similar except each digit is a byte. In IBM mainframe, before you could
perform arithmetic you had to pack the fields. In Burroughs, the
hardware had a flag where each field had a type flag so you could add a
signed external decimal to an unsigned packed decimal and yield a signed
external decimal. On microprocessors, BCD may be implemented on integer
or even floating point. But on IBM Mainframes if you wanted a 50 digit
packed decimal you could have it. The hardware had 3 types, Float,
Integer, and BCD. Microprocessors generally have only Integer and IEEE
floating point. (Jack this is coming from my wayback machine in the
1960s and 1970s where I worked with IBM and Burroughs mainframes in both
COBOL and assembler.

The 15 decimal digit limit seems to be related to double precision
floating point or possibly BCD implemented on 64-bit ints. Effectively
if I were going to implement a BCD template library in C++ I would not
limit the size. To be efficient I would possibly implement it in
integers because integer math is usually much faster.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix