[Discuss] OT: Computer Professionals Update Act

On 01/13/2012 06:45 AM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is a bit off topic, but I just read a brief article discussing the
> Computer Professionals update Act (or the CPU act).  One thing mentioned in
> the act is eliminating overtime pay for IT workers.
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-industry-standard/no-overtime-it-occupy-the-data-center-181183?page=0,0
>
> I'm salary, so this doesn't apply to me, but I'm wondering if this may be a
> topic worthy of discussion.

Agreed that it is worthy of discussion.
Being a Software Engineer (computer programmer) I have long been not
eligible for overtime even as a contractor where I was told I could not
bill more than 40 hours. The issue is that the nature of our jobs may
require working long hours. The issue especially for IT people is that
some things have to be done after hours. So, let's say you are an IT
employee who is expected to work 9-5, M-F, but on Saturday you have to
come in to rebuild a server, but your company still expects you to honor
your regular schedule. Today, you would simply put in for the extra
hours and be compensated. In any case, IMHO, employees who work extra
hours because the work cannot be accomplished during the scheduled work
day. should be compensated. In contrast a programmer who works some
overtime to meet a schedule should not be compensated in the general case.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix