[Discuss] Full disk encryption, why bother?

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Ben Eisenbraun <bene at klatsch.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:24:47AM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
>> Anyone buying this device would do well to have paid-up life insurance:
>> the company is selling a UPS, but they're also selling "cheater" cords
>> that allow their UPS to power a "live" outlet with a double-male
>> connection cord, and that's flat-out dangerous.
>
> It's not a UPS. You have to supply your own UPS to power their capture
> unit. And it doesn't appear to power the outlet until after the mains
> power is cut. That's the "Patent-pending technology" part I suppose.

My guess is that they basically have boxed up just the switching
portion of a standby (offline) UPS.   Not all systems like that kind
of UPS.  OTOH, many cheap UPS do it that way so it clearly works well
enough for many uses.   The videos where you go into the wall and clip
wires or pull a plug partially out of a sock are potentially
dangerous, but don't seem too bad as long as you are careful.

Bill Bogstad