[Discuss] box.net

Dan O'Donovan wrote:
> Just in case anyone here isn't aware of this, you can also use disposable email address' with Google's gmail.
> your.account+<boxnet>@gmail.com

I certainly wasn't aware of it. Looks like a nice trick; I tried it
and it worked (I omitted the angle brackets, assuming you meant them
to indicate a variable).

But how is this address disposable? I can see that if I get spam at
myaccount+boxnet at gmail.com I'll know that boxnet compromised the
address but, having established that, how do I "dispose" of the
address? Do you mean I add a line in my filters to reject any mail
with that address?

Hmm...after writing the above and thinking about it, I guess that must
be exactly what you mean! Works for me. Thanks for a good tip. I sure
missed the old mailshell.com service.

Thinking about it some more, as this becomes generally known, won't
spammers simply add a script truncate any gmail address with a + in
it, yielding a valid and no-longer-traceable address? Or can we count
on them to be really, really lazy?

Ted