[Discuss] [HH] build my own cell phone

On 01/02/2012 08:14 PM, Kurt Keville wrote:
> Maybe something built around GNU Radio? I know they can do the
> backhaul part of the equation...
>
> http://openbts.sourceforge.net/FieldTest2/index.html
>
> wouldn't look much like a cell phone though... the USRP is pretty big...
>
> On Jan 2, 2012, at 7:25 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>
>> [Cross posting to Hardware Hacking from BLU.]
>>
>> Stephen Adler wrote:
>>> ...I've set out for my new years resolution, to build my own cell
>>> phone...
>>> Anyone on BLU ever attempt or know of anyone who attempted to build
>>> their own cell phone?
>>
>> Didn't the Openmoko (http://www.openmoko.com/) guys run into some
>> significant roadblocks when it came to creating open firmware for the
>> GSM radio? The carrier don't take kindly to arbitrary code running at
>> that layer.
>>
>> However, your goal is a bit fuzzy. Presumably you aren't planning to
>> build your own GSM radio. How much of the phone do you need/want to
>> build to achieve your goal? You best bet might be to start with a
>> purchased phone and mod it in some fashion. I'm not aware of any phones
>> that are designed to permit swapping components.
>>
>> -Tom

I didn't know there was a hardware hacking list, I'll sign up! This is
going to be a long project, since I have a feeling building a cell phone
is not like building a PC from component parts. Maybe I should first
start by building a touch pad PC or an equivalent iTouch type hand held
system. Maybe a better term is a hand held Gnu/Linux PC with at least
WiFi capability. One can then move on to adding the cell phone
component. I took a quick look at the openmoko and will revisit it, but
it didn't seem like something I could build from scratch, like I do a PC.

Thanks for the replies, and I guess I should sign up to the hardware
hacking mailing list.

Cheers. Steve.