[Discuss] OpenOffice.org

On 12/17/2011 02:09 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM,  <edwardp at linuxmail.org> wrote:
>> Anyone know what's up with OpenOffice.org?  Version 3.3, the last non-beta,
>> was released back in January 2011, with a beta of 3.4 released in April (per
>> their News page).
>>
>> Has the community switched to LibreOffice?
> That's my impression.   The delays caused by moving OpenOffice to the
> Apache project infrastructure certainly didn't help matters.  Maybe
> things will start moving again or maybe that was the final nail in the
> coffin.  It will depend on just how much IBM wants to keep pushing it.
>  Besides Oracle, I think IBM is the only large organization that still
> cares (and I'm not actually sure about Oracle).
The reason that LibreOffice broke off was because of Oracle's aquisition
of Sun. It depends very much who gets the funding. Certainly IBM is a
big funder and user of Apache. I would love to see IBM get more involved
since I am now (as of next Jan 1) an IBMer. Currently I use both
depending on where I have it installed.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix