[Discuss] WRT Dell trashing their own reputation by offshoring support to India [Was: Justify your existence]

I strongly object to being characterized as someone who "did not like
the foreign accent".  And, based on my own experiences with Dell's
support, I think that for most people who disliked Dell's offshoring of
their support function, that characterization is wholly inaccurate.

I've been a software engineer since my first job writing BASIC
interpreters and OS internals at DEC in the 1970s.  But by the late
1990s I was a Unix expert, not an MS-DOS or Windows expert.  So,
although I've never expected Dell's support people to have the same
level of understanding of OS concepts that I do, I did expect them to
have specific knowledge about Windows that I didn't.  And before Dell
made their disastrous decision to move support out of the U.S., the
level of support met my expectations.  When I called them for help, I
was able to have an intelligent conversation with the support person
handling my call.  There was an interactive back-and-forth in the
conversation, the result of which was that their knowledge plus my
knowledge allowed us to solve my problem.

After Dell fired their U.S. support people and outsourced the function
to India, I found it impossible to have an intelligent conversation with
their support people.  During my calls to them over the first few years
after they did that, I naively assumed the support people were
technically knowledgeable, and I continued trying to engage them in
technical conversation to solve my problem, but that was always
impossible.  I'd say something and they'd respond with a complete
non-sequitur.  It took me years to figure out that: 1) they didn't have
a clue what I was talking about, and 2) unlike the technical people I
know who, when they don't understand what you're saying, will ask you
questions until they do understand, Dell's outsourced support people
would simply pretend to understand - which behavior inevitably resulted
in absurd non-sequiturs, as well as them wasting huge amounts of my time.

After a few years of this, I figured out that Dell must have replaced
the technically-knowledgeable U.S. support staff that they laid off,
with un-knowledgeable but cheap staff, and then tried to make up for
that abysmal decision by training them to read pre-written scripts.  It
was also clear that the outsourced support staff was being incentivized
to close calls rather than to solve problems.  So they were more than
happy to give you a totally unworkable or irrelevant solution as long as
they could get you off the line.  If you had to call back again 10
times. that was somebody else's problem, not theirs.

Since customer objections to the extreme degradation of Dell's service
were too often mischaracterized in the same way you just
mischaracterized them, as people not liking the foreign accent,
management in Round Rock, TX came up with the idiotic solution to simply
look for other countries with cheap workers whose English sounded less
accented to American ears.  So a few years later, I found I was talking
to clueless people in the Philippines or in Panama instead of clueless
people in India.

At some point during a call to Dell's outsourced support, I remembered a
Dilbert strip I'd seen years before, in which the support rep tells him
to do something ridiculous like reinstall the OS, the next panel shows
him twiddling his thumbs, and in the next panel he tells the support
rep, "OK, I've done that."  When I first saw that strip, I thought it
was a funny joke.  But after years of frustration with Dell's atrocious
time-wasting "service", I stopped thinking of it as a joke and started
thinking of it as a strategy.  I tried it, and it worked far better than
trying to hold an intelligent technical conversation with them.
Eventually I started trying to predict the contents of their pre-written
script, and figure out which answers would help me navigate them through
the shortest path in their script to get to the point where they were
willing to send me the particular replacement part I needed.  And, given
their history of having wasted so much of my time, I no longer felt I
needed to zero in on the right replacement part.  If I could narrow it
down to one of 2 or 3 parts, I was happy to have them ship one part and
send a tech out to swap it, and if that didn't work I'd call back and
manipulate their script-readers through their script to the next
replacement part I wanted to try.  With a company that didn't make a
business out of wasting my time, it would never have occurred to me to
do that.  I can't be the only one who figured this out.  Over the years,
I'm sure Dell must have spent far more money on supporting customers'
systems than they could possibly have saved by firing their technically
knowledgeable U.S. support staff.  And they've also generated a great
deal of ill will in the bargain.

This is what happens when management manages by the numbers and is
totally out of touch with their customers.

        Mark Rosenthal
        mbr at arlsoft.com <mailto:mbr at arlsoft.com>