[Discuss] Backing up LVM partitions using snapshots

On 12/13/2011 12:01 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
 > You run fsck.

That won't work.  fsck fixes errors in metadata but there are no errors
in the directory metadata.  It's a perfectly valid-looking directory
entry as far as fsck is concerned.  It isn't a valid file from the
owner's perspective since the inode list points to empty blocks -- or
who knows what on a "dirty" volume.  Which brings up a serious security
concern: cross-linked file data on dirty volumes.  You have no control
over which blocks get assigned to a volume on creation, and some of
those are going to be reused.  You could scrub everything on volume
deletion, but that's going to kill SSDs (we had that discussion earlier
this year).

This is a non-issue with file-level backups.