[Discuss] Competition of broadband

On 12/4/2011 6:39 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> (a monopoly/pork barrel funding).   I'm sure that if Verizon was
>> willing to pay the same kind of fees that Comcast does that they could
>> find politicians willing to switch horses.
> Two words: franchise fees.

Two words: time and materials.

Verizon won't compete with Comcast for broadband, because they'd have to
complete their network with today's labor rates. They don't want to
spend that much money, and are withholding service and making
non-compete deals with Comcast in the cellular space, so that they can
continue to wait as long as it takes for Comcast to set a foot wrong and
scare the pols enough that they dictate favorable terms under which
Verizon can "compete".

Two more words: common sense.

It's not the second coming, OK? The odds are overwhelming that you
*still* work in a different place than the one where you live, and so
long as corporate executives continue to practice "warm body" management
(if you're body is still warm and you haven't fallen out of your chair,
you must be productive), there won't be any driver for universal
broadband or competition, because there is no driver for work-at-home
capability.

Bill

--
Bill Horne