[Discuss] Howdy

On 11/29/2011 12:05 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 02:47:06PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> At least in Somerville you get better Internet and phone alternatives.
>
> Whoo! Comcast _and_ RCN... be still my beating heart! :-)
>
> Mayor Joe has not made himself any friends at Verizon, so it'll probably be
> a while before we see FiOS.

Maybe so. You'll probably get it before Boston does though; Mayor Menino
isn't a friend of Verizon either, as he has insisted that VZ has to wire
ALL of Boston if they want to get permission to do any of it. Boston got
burned years ago by RCN, which got a permit to cable Boston and actually
only did a couple of wealthy neighborhoods; Menino doesn't want to
repeat that bit of history.

So most of Boston gets Comcast and... Comcast. Or you can get wireless
internet from Clearwire but that has some real problems with
insufficient capacity for peak times. DSL is available from Verizon and
CLECs but has become unreliable due to the deteriorating state of VZ's
copper infrastructure.