[Discuss] an "Enterprise" Linux for desktop

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of David Kramer
>
> On 11/25/2011 07:46 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> >> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> >> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of David Kramer
> >>
> >> But they didn't just change it; they removed functionality
> >> with no way to get it back.  They didn't design it so there are
> >> features that are turned off by default.  They simply removed the
> >> advanced features.
> >
> > Such as?
>
> Putting icons on the desktop
>
> Being able to put apps on the desktop of your choosing
>
> Having more than one launch bar
>
> Controlling the size of the icons on the launch bar
>
> Being able to see the name and/or the description and/or icon in the
> launcher (this is a big deal as so many apps have nearly identical icons
> now)
>
> The demo was a long time ago, but that's what I remember off the top of
> my head.

Try it again.
I just put an icon on my desktop by dragging it from the "start menu" to the
desktop.  There was a bug - by default it didn't become executable, so I had
to chmod +x to make it work.  I resized it by clicking it and dragging the
corner (but can't resize on the dock.)  I certainly acknowledge some stuff
ain't perfect, and I don't have any answers for your other complaints.

But, I learned years ago when I started using slackware and I customized my
desktop using some arcane windows manager which disappeared on the next
release...  In any OS, it's best not to get deeply entrenched into what
you're calling "advanced" features of the UI.  I'm going to call them
details.  Whether it's linux, mac, windows, solaris or anything, all this
stuff is prone to change.  For better and worse.  Learn not to be dependent
on specific details.

I wouldn't say removing these particular details was a step back, or a
removal, or a loss, because it comes with new features as well - of course
it's coming from my own personal perspective.  Every change that is ever
made to anything benefits some people at the expense of some others.  Time
marches on.  Try to embrace the new improved things along the way and don't
hold too tightly to whatever details you lost, because it will only
accelerate your aging process.  It will happen again and again, no matter
what platform you want to use.