[Discuss] to Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of
>
> One way to look at it, is whether it's /really/ necessary to upgrade the
> OS every six months, even if the current installation continues to be
> supported for some time after that.

You mean every month.  ;-)
I know up till now ubuntu has been every 6 months, but moving forward...
http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/
Still just a proposal as far as I know.

You ask if it's really necessary to upgrade every 6 months, and it's a wise
question, but only one-sided.  As a consumer, you'll have less stability and
more experimental new features with a rapid release cycle, but as a
programmer or producer, you'll have less feedback if you don't have a rapid
release cycle.  That's why they have varying levels of stability ...  Once
every 18 months or so, ubuntu releases a LTS version, which is intended to
have been fully fleshed out, highly stable configuration.  If you go to the
latest version, you're choosing the newest most experimental thing
available.  That's the nature of open source software.