[Discuss] to Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu

Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Tom Metro<tmetro-blu at vl.com>  wrote:
>
>> The question I'd put to the community is: If you have been using Ubuntu
>> since 10.4 or earlier, and you've upgraded or are planning to, what
>> option did you take?
>>
> I'm still running Ubuntu 10.4 (home and work) because it's a LTS (long term
> support) release.  I've been wanting to upgrade on at least the personal
> side (just too busy) but now I'm seriously doubting how it can be worth it.
>   All the complaints I've been hearing are eerily similar to the horror-show
> that I personally experienced with the KDE 4 upgrade.

Debian's release schedule is every two years, at least that was the
period of time between versions 5 and 6.  When I ran Ubuntu, I upgraded
when a new release came out.  Debian's release schedule seems to be better.

One way to look at it, is whether it's /really/ necessary to upgrade the
OS every six months, even if the current installation continues to be
supported for some time after that.