[Discuss] Perl OO question

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 05:34:58PM -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Perl makes easy stuff convenient, and hard stuff possible.

Sure it does.  But so does Python, and for my money Python is more
elegant, lexically consistent and simple, easier to read and debug,
etc. etc..

The only single thing I can think of that I would prefer Perl for
would be writing short scripts whose main purpose is to use regexes to
parse text.  Its syntax for that is very efficient...  Though
if the script were to be more than a few dozen lines, the extra
tedium of Python's regex parsing libraries would be well worth the
tradeoff IMO.

I tried to resist replying to this, but I failed. =8^)

> What you were looking to do is out of the realm of what's typical.

Maybe so, but it's trivial in Python, and Python's module use paradigm
discourages namespace pollution, whereas Perl's seems to encourage
it.  It's not lost on me that you can find badly written or
hard-to-maintain code in any language; however in my experience Python
has the strong tendency to discourage it, whereas Perl does just the
opposite.

For what it's worth, I use Perl more often than I do Python, or any
other language for that matter, so this isn't a case of preferring
what one knows over what one doesn't.  Of all the languages I know
reasonably well, Perl is virtually always last on my list of choices.
Perl 6 might be much better, but I'll probably never get to try it
out as it's not an option in my environment and why bother when I can
just use Python...

-=-=-=-=-