[Discuss] mbox questions

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> ...one of the solutions is to remove all the index
> (.msf) files and compact all the mbox files. In my situation I have
> emails in local folders going back years. This should be no problem...

Be aware that although the documentation would have you believe that the
.msf files are there strictly for performance and are otherwise
disposable, they actually store some unique meta data - at least with TB
version 3.x and earlier, and for local folders. For example, if you
delete your .msf file, you will lose any tagging you had set.

Even doing something as seemingly innocuous as moving your local mail
store to a different file system (path) can throw TB off ad cause the
meta data to be lost.

John Abreau wrote:
> Now I keep all my local backups of mail folders in Maildir format
> on one of my home servers, with Dovecot sitting on top for
> easier access via IMAP.

I second that approach.

 -Tom

--