[Discuss] Richard Pieri wrote:, > Android doesn't support S/MIME out of the box, either.

I use k9mail.

Advantages:  It incorporates the latest bug fixes and lore of how to do things.
I found that, unlike the default mail app on my Droid X2, it could be configured to send plain text mail.
Unlike the default mail app on my Droid Eris, it contained the bug fixes enabling ACTUAL sending of plain text mail.

Disadvantages:  Sometimes you get told that in order to get the particular fix or feature you need, you have to step outside the release cycle and use the untested, and possibly buggy, nightly build version.
For a while it regressed to sending plain text email in base64 content transfer encoding.  That seems fixed now.

Hope this is useful,

-Bill Cattey