[Discuss] Security

On 11/02/2011 08:54 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Gregory Boyce wrote:
>> "Rogue Vending machine" strikes me as a movie theater threat.  Rogue
>> devices can be a very real problem, but you're much more likely to be
>> hit by a users virus infected home laptop or potentially a malicious
>> device other than a vending machine.
> Case in point: a few gigs back we got hit by Slammer on the inside of our firewalled network.  It wasn't ourselves.  It was a visiting vendor or some such who brought it in on his own laptop and it spread when he plugged it into our network.
>
> Another case in point:
> http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N30/swartz.html

When we set up our internal conference room, I set up 1 ethernet port to
connect to the Regus Office network. I did this because we use the room
for training. In addition, our 2 wireless routers are set to WPA + MAC
address authentication. Regus also has WiFI and I give vendors and
clients the password for Regus. Of course that does not solve the
problem when you have a visiting employee from a Rogue nation like
Canada :-).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix