[Discuss] LVM Snapshot Wrapup

> From: markw at mohawksoft.com [mailto:markw at mohawksoft.com]
>
> >> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> >> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of
> >>
> >> ZFS has license issues.
> >> Btrfs not considered "stable" yet.
> >
> > I don't recall you ever expanding into what you mean by saying those 2
> > things.
> >
> ZFS:
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/uptake-of-native-linux-
> zfs-port-hampered-by-license-conflict.ars

What about solaris/openindiana/freebsd or whatever instead of linux?  If
you're trying to solve a specific design requirement - I am a fan of
separating the storage from the machine.  Use solaris to manage my storage
and distribute it to the linux clients.  If you're trying to solve the
general case problem, creating more optional solutions for any random people
out there who need storage managed by linux for any random reason, then the
ZFS license conflict (which is only part of the real problem) is a real
obstacle to widespread usage of ZFS in linux.

So I respect the "ZFS has license issues" statement only in the context of
running on linux directly.

> Btrfs:
> Doesn't have a completely functional fsck yet, and still has performance
> issues. It is still not considered "stable" yet with regard to the kernel.

Are you trying to solve a problem for yourself, or trying to create a new
product for general use by people on the internet at large?  If it's a
general product you're planning to invent ... the "not stable yet" argument
against btrfs won't hold water for long.  It barely holds water now, as
people are starting to deploy btrfs in production, and btrfs is being
included (but not enabled by default) in most major distributions.

You have to consider the time and momentum that btrfs has, versus the time
necessary to do something else, and the momentum there...