[Discuss] lvm snapshot cloning

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu at vl.com> wrote:
> Bill Bogstad wrote:
>
> You are correct. I was mistakenly thinking that inodes==blocks, which of
> course they don't.
>
> I haven't looked at the inotify library in a while, but it isn't out of
> the realm of possibility that in addition to the notification messages
> ?identifying the inode, it may also identify the blocks or byte range
> impacted by the I/O operation.

I checked the docs quickly and no such luck.   In any case, it would
have been more likely that inotify would inform you about byte ranges
in the file that changed rather then blocks within the filesystem
implementation.   You could possibly use something like this to
monitor files for backup through the filesytem rather then through the
block device, but this would require monitoring all the directories on
the filesystem.   That is likely to be too expensive to do through the
inotify system in the general case.

Bill Bogstad