[Discuss] lvm snapshot cloning

One thing I haven't seen on this thread is the "REFLINK" mechanism invented in
the most recent 1.6 release of OCFS2.  (It's described in the user guide:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/v1.6/ocfs2-1_6-usersguide.pdf).
 The open-source developers have thought long and hard about this performance
problem and come up with an innovative solution for writeable snapshots.

It doesn't directly solve some of the issues discussed here (regarding cloning
of snapshots) but it provides a better platform for solving them.  And the
filesystem driver has been kernel-embedded for several Linux releases.

-rich