[Discuss] lvm snapshot cloning

> From: markw at mohawksoft.com [mailto:markw at mohawksoft.com]
>
> If you can get more than 160MB/s (sustained) on anything other than exotic
> hardware, I'd be surprised. 1Gbit/sec per disk sustained is currently not
> possible with COTS hardware that is available.
>
> Transfer rate is not "sustained," and "peak" is not "sustained." Yes, if
> can can manage to read/write to disk cache, you can get cool performance,
> but if you are doing backups, you will blow out cache quite quickly.

Go measure it before you say anymore.  Because I've spent a lot of time in
the last 4 years benchmarking disks.  I can say the typical sequential
throughput, read or write, for nearly all disks (7.2krpm sata up to 15krpm
sas) is 1.0 Gbit/sec.  Sustained sequential read/write.  For let's say, the
entire disk.  Or at least tens of GB.

Even laptops (7.2krpm sata dell) are able to sustain this speed.