[Discuss] lvm snapshot cloning

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr at tao.merseine.nu> wrote:

> So the absolute best you could have done ignoring all overhead was 16.7
> hours, and it took 19. Not awful.

Indeed.  TSM took about 20 minutes at the start to build the restore index,
but it fairly screamed once it got going moving data around.  TSM uses two
"threads" during the restore process, one doing the actual read from storage
and send to host and one scanning the archive system for the next file to
restore.  It does a very good job keeping throughput up.

> 1600MB/s * 3600s/h = 5760GB/h which is still more than the
> 4500GB/h you might get from theoretical no-overhead 10GE.

A little less, actually.  It's 11x1TB in RAID 6.  I have a hot spare on the
controller.  Still, close enough for an approximation.