[Discuss] Insight about LVM

> On 10/22/2011 01:33 AM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> I've got a pretty good feel for the technology and functionality, I
>> could
>> write a white paper on how to use it.
>>
>> The question I have for this group is this...
>>
>> Do you trust it? Is it reliable? is it a viable technology?
> LVM is the default for enterprise Linux, both RHEL as well as SuSE. I
> have not heard any issues with LVM. The biggest advantage is that you
> can resize logical volumes, add new hardware to extend logical volumes.
> It gives you quite a bit of flexibility over using physical partitioning.

I know the advantages. I actually converted my servers to use LVM volumes
for the VMs and database. Snapshots are the way to go for backing up live
systems. I have been doing some research into how to accomplish
differential block level backups from snapshot to snapshot.

I guess my question was more amorphous. I have a couple potential storage
applications that could be implemented with LVM as a component. I'm also
looking into ZFS and Btrfs. I'm not looking for a compare/contrast.

I'm looking to hear from people using it, things they like, things they
dislike, oddities they've encountered, etc.