[Discuss] Thermal monitoring

On 10/21/2011 11:12 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 10/21/2011 10:47 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> On 10/21/2011 10:39 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>>> I have a system that has been having heat problems. (Apparently when
>>> it was
>>> in my boss' home, he replaced the existing cooling fans with whimpy
>>> ones,
>>> but he kept the original fans so yesterday we did replace them, but I
>>> would
>>> like to be able to monitor the temps.

>> I usually use lm_sensors to monitor for heat:
>>
>> [darose at daroselin ~]$ sensors
>> acpitz-virtual-0
>> Adapter: Virtual device
>> temp1:        +62.0?C  (crit = +97.0?C)
>>

> Unfortunately:
> No sensors found!
> Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
> Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
> I did run sensors-detect as root, and it installed lm_sensors in
> /etc/sysconfig.

The sensors modules for many motherboards aren't included as part of the
package and so need to be installed separately.  For example, on my
server at home I had to install the k10temp module.

[darose at darsys12 ~]$ sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +44.9?C  (high = +70.0?C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +64.0?C

I would recommend running through the sensors-detect script.  It should
tell you which module you need to install.

DR