[Discuss] Historical origin of cron's day-of-month/weekday behavior?

My experience is exactly the opposite. I've never run into a situation
you describe, but it would be trivially easy to specify it with two
cron entries: one specifying Mondays, and the other specifying
the first of the month.

On the other hand, my "odd case" that you claim is not particularly
useful is one that I see all the time. Pretty much every program I've
ever seen for scheduling events includes this, cron being the
most notable exception. For the few others that lacked it, I recall
reading reviews in magazines like PC World giving them bad marks
for leaving out the feature. This leads me to believe that I'm not the
only person on the planet who finds this functionality particularly useful.

If you want other examples other than my user group, my local
chapter of Toastmasters meets on the first and third Tuesdays
of every month. At my previous job, we had a monthly staff meeting
on the fourth Friday of every month. Back when the Boston Computer
Society still existed, pretty much every BCS SIG would meet once a
month on the n'th $WEEKDAY of the month. Doesn't GNHLUG
also schedule its meetings in this manner?

In any case, my question was about the original author's reasoning.
I've poked around a bit more and learned that Brian Kernighan
was the original author, but I still haven't found anything where
he explains why he chose that behavior.

Did you read somewhere that your use case was actually what
Brian had in mind? If so, can you share a link to the article
or point me to the book or magazine issue that you read it in?