[Discuss] how to manage a bunch of ms boxes?

If the users were half-intelligent you may want to train them to use a
sandboxing software like SandieBox, which is very effective at eliminating
user induced problems.

I think there is a program called Deep Freeze or something that sets a
computer back to locked state after a reboot.  That may be an option also.

Lastly, if you run Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate the OS can be configured
to boot of from a VHD file.  You can keep just one VHD file on a network
share and download it to replace the VHD the students/teachers/whomever
messed up.

Sorry, I can't think of any sure-fire solutions that involve Linux.