[Discuss] Econonomic contribution

> On Oct 16, 2011, at 9:15 AM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>>
>> Can it ever be said that it is a waste of time to contemplate the nature
>> of the world in which we live? Comparing and contrasting Jobs and
>> Ritchie,
>> is interesting for understanding where we are and why. Its not a matter
>> of
>> who, but a matter of thinking about it, i.e. its the journey not the
>> destination.
>
> Then I suggest making a fair comparison.  To wit, your dismissal of The
> Steve's perceived lack of creativity because of his genuine lack of
> technical expertise is unfair.

I'm not sure I agree. Many people can dream and be creative, opportunity
to bring it to fruition is more elusive. It is a mixture of character and
circumstance. It is not certain that either Jobs or Ritchie, outside of
the circumstances of their life, would have been so accomplished.

If Einstein or Hawking were born in Borneo, would they, in fact, be the
giants we remember them as being?

> Also, it seems that you've forgotten Henry Ford's most important
> contribution to the world.  It wasn't the Model T Ford.  It was the
> assembly line factory that made the Model T Ford.  This is why I say that
> making such comparisons is a waste of time.  You miss the big things
> because they're taken for granted, or you miss the subtle things because
> they're beneath notice.

Well, Ford's "progressive assembly" process was something that was a
burgeoning practice at the time, so I can't really credit him with that.
The main thing Ford is credited with is "standardized parts," and there's
plenty of historical evidence that this was not as novel as our American
historical narrative would dictate.